Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Favorite Places...Favorite Stones...


I've always believed in Geomancy: the mysteriousness of the Elements...and I've certainly felt the reality of Geopiety: special favorite places in the world where we each seem to belong...
How about you? Hasn't it felt just 'right' when you've touched that granite rock, turned a corner on that trail and saw.....or landed with a muted crunch on that sandy and rocky beach.....
What about one of those nights when you got up for a moment and gazed up at stars to numerous to count...or discovered again that mountain lake that you've seen so many times before and yet find yourself now really beginning to sense what is there...
Then there are the sounds.....falling asleep to the wind in the trees...the distant thunder that both intrigues and yet scares us...the many cords of the rain, how it starts, grows in cadence, then fades away...and the ocean - which has too many sounds too note, and yet whose music we never seem to tire of...How can there not be a Geomancy; how can we not find some Geopiety?
The picture above is of a special place I used to gaze at from a distance. It now holds many mysteries that were out there for me to discover; about the islands and about myself...It feels right to be there...
I remember... fog in the morning, cold breezes across the water, wind through the trees, the smile of my partner paddling beside me, landing on small beaches of shells and sand, finding a face carved into a long dead tree, waves that challenged my skill level...and so much else. How can there not be a Geomancy; a Geopiety... A place like that gives us so much...
So it also feels right to then give something back; picking up some garbage, helping on an island trail restoration, and quietly placing a few favorite stones season after season...
Maybe others who found these; created some of their own Geomancy.....Maybe they will also give something back to that place...
DSD

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four summers ago I was soloing the scramble route on Mt Niblock by Lake Louise. I discovered one of your "Summit Stones" near the summit cairn. I was surprised and really delighted by finding this. There was not a "Muse" with it. There was one page of paper with writing like on your blog. This was a real challenging solo for me to do and finding this "Summit Stone" was like being rewarded for all my efforts. It has since been put with my other outdoor collectables. Thanks to you for doing this.

Anonymous said...

Hi DSD,
You do get around.
I was lucky and found one of your Summit Stones on the farthest northeast beach across Main Lakes on Quadra Island. Interesting postings too.
R.G.

Anonymous said...

Found one on the Big Sister in 2001.

Anonymous said...

Discovered one on summit of big sister.