Friday, April 20, 2007

"Tribute To A Rock Carver..."





The whole of Stawamus Chief mountain in BC, Canada, is often described as the figure of an Aboriginal Chief, lying on his back and looking up... An amazing image in old granite rock...
Squamish, where the Chief and other special things may be found, is an adventurers dreamland. The Chief itself is a most pristine mountain with endless climbing opportunities...
On our latest visit up Howe Sound for some hiking and gazing over bouldering problems quite beyond my means, I placed a few Summit Stones & Adventure Muses... We have returned there a few times now to enjoy and ponder over many hiking, climbing, bouldering, mountain biking, and nearby kayaking adventures...
While there, we discovered two new adventure experiences. The first was the wonder of learning about the Peregrine Falcon, which nests high up on the majestic Grand Wall and whom often competes with climbers for safe resting near cracks and ledges. Thankfully, some routes are off limits during the Peregrine's sensitive season. What beautiful creatures they are...
The second new adventure was discovering an amazing figure carved into a huge granite boulder! It can be found by hiking in off Psyche Ledge, the old access road, and going further past the Parks sign and then following the mossy trail to the right, below the Grand Wall area itself... Found upon about a six foot high boulder is a rock carving of at least five feet, etched into the very rock. The left arm of the figure, as shown above, is reaching to the very top of the boulder. I just had to place a Summit Stone at that very spot where the left hand is gripping the upper edge...
We did not see this carving on our other visits here, when wandering through the trees and boulder fields, yet it must have been done some time ago, from the look of the rock and the growth upon it...
I so enjoyed musing over the skill and technique needed, the hours of effort required, the motivation for, the message of, and the gift this will be to those who discover this unique rock image during their own adventures...
I thought to post a tribute here as I do appreciate such anonymous artistic endeavors...
DSD
(This may spark comment on the permanent nature of such art. I do wonder if this made for any controversy when it was completed; as I have many times over my Summit Stone placements - even as my intentions reflect that these are a gift to always be carried away. I sincerely hope so as to not be intrusive in anothers adventure experience.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I climb at Squamish at have been at this spot. It is a cool rock carving. Now I am looking for one of your stones.
Warren

Unknown said...

Hi Warren,
I hope you find one!
Over the years I have placed almost a hundred around this area...
DSD