Thursday, June 16, 2011

"Seeing Inside The Mountain & The Wave..."





More than a few decades ago, as I was in those early years of learning many needed outdoor skills, and among the endless yearnings to be out practicing them - I was given three small gifts... Two of these are similar in that they are small crystal figures. One of a mountain, the other of a wave. On each of these can be seen the unique outline and character of what we might expect to see upon such a mountain or wave image. The mountain itself has its lines, ridges, cliff like glass faces, the apex of these leading to the summit itself. The wave has its lines too, the curves we would expect, and the character of such waters that are felt in its crystalline presence. Two beautiful gifts. Two pieces of crystal that present images and also symbolism... The third gift though, was what had been said to me, written as it was in the accompanying card. For if you turn these two crystals around, on their more hidden sides, it is as if a section of both the mountain and the wave have been cut away. You can now see inside of these icons and gaze deep within them. Their internal worlds are both so very unique. You are able to see, and sense, and even feel so much more about that mountain and that wave... This is what my third gift was. A few words written for me that said, "You are an adventurous person. What you seek is inside. Inside of the mountains, inside of those waves, inside of yourself...". I thought to share this story with you my Friends, today as I find myself dusting these old gifts off, and remembering the enduring message of them, the truths they held out, and how they further inspired me to stay the course these long years of challenges, trials, trails, and adventures... Now its time to be away coastal beach trekking and coastal island sea kayaking... DSD

4 comments:

Gee Backhouse said...

What a wonderful gift to have rediscovered and dusted off. Significantly symbolic treasures. Thanks for sharing. AmitiƩs, Gee.

Barry said...

Enjoy the coast. West, I assume. May you enjoy fair weather and calm seas. I have a collection of stones I keep in an old pot. To anyone else, they are just stones, albeit some are very pretty. To me they are summits and canyons and rivers. To hold one in my hand vividly brings back the mental images and sounds of the experience many years past. They are a personal treasure. I have friends who shared the experience with me and the stone does the same for them. It is magic but you must go there to get them.

I also have a collection of shells.

Unknown said...

Thanks very much Gee.
Thanks so much too Barry for your memorable musing. They are indeed treasures, of experiences, of serendipity, connections, visions, dreams, memories, and also very much of magic as you say...
DSD

pwax said...

Very pretty