Sunday, February 19, 2012

"Writing It Down, Saying It Out Loud..."

There are a great many skills we endeavour to learn for wandering and safely enjoying ourselves out in the wild places. Developing such knowledge, skills, and adventure abilities also makes navigating through life easier instead of simply being full of obstacles. A little while back I had the opportunity to share about two subtle approaches learned many years ago on Outward Bound. Here was a young person so full of energy and dreams to get out to hike and climb, to begin kayaking, so keen to know about canyoneering. This enthusiasm & energy is the genesis, and desire the fuel, for our adventure motivations. Yet learning ways to enhance and focus the skill of commitment, is what makes such momentum endure, season after year after decade out there... I simply shared what was told to me such a long ways back - "Write it down... Say it out loud". Two strategies that make our commitments so very real, two skillsets that then instill distinct conviction. Any time we take what begins as a vision, what moves through our hearts, and then projects out from our hands and in our voices - becomes an elemental force in itself. So, here I find myself, once again this early season, writing it down and saying it out loud. Let's all do just that my Friends, and then enjoy the adventure that will surely follow..... DSD

1 comment:

Jeff said...

It isn't really writing it down, but kinda sorta the same thing... I use my smartphone to document my hiking. First the GPS traces my tracks and records the elevation and speed. I use the notes feature to record reminders, names, places and gotchas to watch out for. Passing it along is the fun part. I love to share the adventures I experience and hope that information I provide will enable some other fortunate hiker to enjoy the great outdoors just as much as I do.