Sunday, September 23, 2012

"A Map Forgotten, Yet Found..."


"We organize information on maps in order to see our knowledge in a new way. As a result, maps suggest explanations; and while explanations reassure us, they also inspire us to ask more questions, consider other possibilities." P. Turchi
This was a very long trail; a trail winding far through distant valleys, then even further over a number of mountain passes. It would eventually loop through those mountain ranges, back once more upon itself, as it meandered around those many mountain peaks. It was my trail to wander for those late season adventure days, as I wanted to simply solo hike, ponder, and wonder. No other objectives in mind other than those of motion and musing...
From my long gray haired experiences, I know that there is something always waiting out there for me. Something beyond my expectations, usually way above my initial perceptions. Something wonderfully surprising, essentially elusive, always inviting...
After those long hours, when finally meeting that junction, where one trail branched to become three, I paused and breathed the crisp mountain air in as I am sure most of do at that point. I simply sat, munched some gorp, and eyed my water intake, as my mind cleared a bit more, getting the dust from back here out of its corners. Then snoozing for a few moments, and awakening as one who has sleep problems does after a short time, but usually more refreshed - I looked across and noticed it resting under some branches against a tree...
A map forgotten it was...
A map of this area of course, yet quite worn from folding, handling, with much character evident from long use.
Now came the questions about who had left it there, how long had it rested here, should I simply leave it in case they return, or carry it further to the next campsite. But on which trail would that be I wondered. Lot's of options; many plus's and minus's to each.
I decided to bring it home, my intention to later take it back.
Now as I write these words out here, I carry this little worn map on my return. Another later season journey. Maybe on this trek I may meet its rightful owner, and we can then tell one another stories of the journeys this map has been on, and also of its wonderful company too. For as we know my Dear Friends, maps always become close companions.....  DSD 
My appreciation my Friends for your engaging images above.

5 comments:

Barry said...

More than once a map has changed my mind. Several times a map has determined where I am. Only once, I left one behind. It is not the one you found however I hope the person who carries the map discovers many of the the special places it will reveal.

Alexandra said...

My Oh My, I wonder what stories that forgotten map could tell! I have many maps and they each have stories attached but my most favourite map is the one that has been torn and taped, was wet now weathered. This map no longer has corners and its edges are frayed and rounded with pieces missing. To me this map symbolizes wonderful adventures had and because of that my map now has no defined boundaries, just wide open spaces for the possibility to collect and hold more stories! I love this map!

Unknown said...

We're very much kindred spirits Barry & Alexandra. Thank you for your musings about your own meaningful maps as well. There is something very much magical about how they transform into more than a bit of paper, then invite us to change even farther ourselves... I'm sure we have covered the same terrain at one point utilizng shared maps about about out there. Now that is another level of pondering that I find to be wonderful as well...
Have great fun and enjoyment, my Friends, in those next moments when you unfold your map, maybe holding your breath as I do at times, especially if it is a new one, and how we all look upon that map and forward to the moments where it will now take us...
D

Patrick Fitzgibbon said...

This is simply wonderful. I remember asking my friend during one of her trips to take a pebble from her hike home. Just one or two and mark it with a marker on the date and location where she found it from. Something to remember the trip by. I was touched that she remembered to bring me one at all. She is one of my best friends and I love her for it. Thanks for this awesome reminder of the simpler things in life.

Unknown said...

Welcome Patrick,
Rocks and stones can become such precious things out there at times.
Thnaks for sharing your thoughts and memories too.
D