Friday, July 19, 2013

"I Don't Know What Height I'll Be At..."


Within our climbing, among our forever adventure seasons, we all will eventually encounter our own mountain among mountains...
Such a definition reflects what that elusive summit means for us, and presents to us - be it the altitude, the route, the objective hazards, the subjective challenges, for companions, certain skills, long days out among even longer hours...
These are all then accepted as the price we each will individually choose to pay for our desired adventure experience.
This particular mountain for me, is about all these things, and more...
At my age, I have pondered much ahead of time that if these elements come together at a height that I have done all I possibly can, whatever the altitude may be, summit or no, then I want to still be very content with my efforts and quite happy with that outcome.
This is an elusive equation we all have to establish for ourselves...
Then, when upon this mountain of my mountains, in the very midst of such efforts, I have mused how I will not know what height I may be at - yet I will know I've given my all. I will be sure of fulfilling my intentions & commitment. I will feel I have done everything I can. Having reached deeper inside as Outward Bound taught me to, knowing that there is always more within than we ever first realize...
I truly believe that such perspectives very much fuel our motivations to then keep going. Returning again, and again, and again.
So, at whatever high point, summit or no, I've said to myself, if I am not able to carry on, nearing where I need to determine the turn back time for a safe descent - when I look back from that juncture, to all the planning, preparation, training, and practice, over the whole journey - I will still be a very happy adventurer.
An elusive, but very important equation we all eventually have to determine for ourselves..... DSD

No comments: