Saturday, April 12, 2014

"I Didn't Know I Had It In Me...He Said..."

 
A thesis demonstrated, a question answered, a lesson proved - out on Outward Bound yet once more.
I have seen it so many times over the years. Now it was shared with me again as a friends young family member pondered over their own elusive adventure experience.
There were remembrances of the trials out on the trails, the pushing of limits towards summits, and the evolving but sure developing of confidences.
Further skills needed to be learned and then truly practiced. Also enduring connections needed to be made with others, and with the many elements out among the wild places.
Yet, what echoed out most especially and significantly was what was then stated by a young adventurer who then quietly said, "I didn't know I had it in me...".
What wonderfully, powerful words these are.
That reflect even more potent meanings for all of us who wander.
Their Outward Bound maxim is that there is always more within us than we ever first realize.
This musing is one that we are quietly invited to endlessly ask deeply of ourselves.
The lesson then proved, is the gift we now have, in the answers we each create, while adventuring far out there.
There was still wonder, surprise, even awe, on the face of this young friend as those words were repeated again. By someone who now senses what they do indeed truly have within themselves. A young person who will now carry these dawning realizations further forward, and ever upward, now throughout their unfolding life.
Just like when I said this myself...
Way back then, so very long ago, and still subtly often do now, time and time again as well.
Such a wonderful lasting echo this is..... DSD



No comments: