Thursday, June 07, 2007

"Grand Canyon & Black Canyon Finders..."











Just recently, after my "Canyon Spirit" post, and our adventures out with those spirited Australians and the engaging young couple from Nevada... comments were made here from two amazing 'Canyon Finders' themselves... who discovered a few Summit Stones & Adventure Muses while out on their own journeys...
Our Anonymous Grand Canyon commenter wrote:
"I just completed my second kayak trip down the Grand Canyon and was fortunate to come upon a stone you had left at Spencer Canyon (Mile 246). I first looked through the bag, then told one of the rafters in my group, one that enjoyed geo-caching, there was a small geo-cache, located about 150 feet away. When I came back she was reading the Adventure Muse and told me it appeared it was meant to be kept. Not wanting to disturb someone's 'monument' it took some convincing to get me to keep it. The clincher was the kayak paddle on the back of the book. I knew then it was left by a fellow yaker and, if I didn't take it, it would likely wind up in the hands of commercial rafting customer that may not appreciate the significance of the gift.
Yes, I did take it, not knowing exactly what I would, or should, do with it, but it has become to be my most cherished momento of my trip... I was a solo kayaker supporting a group of 7 rafters. It was a bit lonely and stressful at times (2 raft flips/swims) not having a fellow boater around, but the stone indicated to me the river gods were watching over me.
Thank you DSD... if it is meant to be passed on to another in a land of adventure, I will respect that and ensure it gets placed somewhere appropriate. But if not, I will keep it as a memory stone, a reminder of the great adventure and fortune I had in the Grand Canyon."
Here we have a thoughtful person of significant confidence and experience out giving solo support to a rafting group in the Grandest of Canyons... A safety kayaker assumes a mantle of serious responsibility, where a flip & swim can involve real challenges in responding, and heightens the exhilaration of such adventure. I myself cherish these comments from 'Finders' who themselves have so enjoyed their experience... I also like to believe there are rivers gods and elemental Grandfathers who reflect the spirit of these adventurers and the wild places they are journeying through... I hope this 'Finder' enjoys their memories and that simple touch stone for many years to come...
Our Anonymous speaker from Black Canyon said:
"Our memories of kayaking Black Canyon are more meaningful to us because of your gift of these Summit Stones and Muse. We found one up Boy Scout Canyon below the rope section and then much later in the Emerald River Cave, put up on a small ledge, we were lucky enough to discover another. Each is unique and a beautiful stone, with '06 and '07 on the back with DSD. This must be when they were painted or put in these spots. They are our little treasures and we will value them always. The Muse is full of great quotes. We were excited to locate your blog from details on the inside cover. We love these stories of other finders and are happy to be finders ourselves."
I believe 'treasure' is found to in the spirit and attitudes of adventure that such "Finders" have... The Summit Stone is simply a reflection of this... The wisdom in the Adventure Muse, while not my literary achievement, seems to mirror a person like you, and their musings over their experiences... This blog is written with all of you in mind...
What serendipity in having two kayakers, finding two Summit Stones, in two beautiful canyons...My enthusiasm in placing these, and your excitement in finding them, only adds to our shared gratefulness for such wild places and the special opportunities they provide us...
Now you are indeed both part of a "Finders" story here as well...
I am so glad all have kept a Summit Stone; some may even pass forward a quote from the Adventure Muse; all will give something back of their experience, in their own way, I am sure...
I am so very grateful for their comments here.....
DSD





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a "Finder" as you write from Black Canyon to.
I was on a long solo paddle and found a stone just near Balanced Rock.
Boy was I very surprised. What a terrific find!

Anonymous said...

Our kayak group found a summit stone near the sauna cave.

Anonymous said...

Our party found two of these rafting the Grand Canyon.

Anonymous said...

We were rafting through and met another person who is now one of the Finders! Wish we would have discovered a Summit Stone!
Very cool blog.
Marcel

Anonymous said...

We are devoted paddlers.
And Really enjoy this Blog.
And your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

We launched at Canoe Meadows today at "Found" one of these right there.
I have heard of these in our Kananaskis and was impressed to find one in person!
It is a classy gift you give DSD.
Your blog has some very interesting thoughts.
GGT

Anonymous said...

I have gone to all the links and read all comments on your summit stones
they are terrific!
these finders as you call them have enjoyed memorable times!
westcoast sista

Anonymous said...

Thank you DSD. We were out from Moab for our multiday trip on Alcove Spring Trail for high Mesa hiking in CanyonLands Island In The Sky District. We wanted to enjoy Zeus and Moses Spires in our four days and were searching for solitude and sunsets! Closer to trailhead hidden so it could only be seen on the way out my sister spotted the concealed Summit Stone. The desert has many special secrets!

Travis said...

Found after our last rappel while canyoneering in Arches National Park.
Thank you DSD.