Monday, January 25, 2010

"Mixing In....."


It is not a well known practice within the ages old lore of painting, yet it is though an especially endearing and timeless tradition among some artists. One that I have learned over time to so appreciate. There is such a process of trial and error to it. It begins with the selection of just the right paints, and is then blended only with certain other elements... But though the results may not be apparent, the hidden meanings of these mediums feel so very profound...
This is the practice, the painters slow artistry and discipline of 'mixing in'... Where select very small amounts of silt or earth, tiny particles of desert or coastal sand, maybe bits of crumbled leaves, possibly ash or charcoal from old campfires, even pure rain or ocean waters, or the strands of some wild ones' fur - among other unique elements, are gathered from chosen wild places, and other power places... Then they are very carefully mixed in with these paints. This technique makes the paint come alive; with a brush that takes to this blending, and is then applied so slowly in swirls and layers and coatings...
Within my own naive renditions of mountain ranges, forests, waters, sky's, and fires are often found such mixings. They then become an elemental part of these Summit Stones that I am sure the Finders can sense when they are held closely.....
DSD

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your art is truly a treasure. Whenever one looks at a summit stone I am sure that they recall the wonderful wilderness they found it in and all that is still good in this world.

Anonymous said...

What Magic DSD!
That is fantastic!

Patty said...

A beautiul creative means to have your art come alive DSD. I bet those that have found one, like me, can really feel all of what has been mixed.
Thank You.
Patty

Thruhiker22 said...

I love the artistry and the mystery of this.

MB said...

I sketch when hiking and climbing too. Your stones are beautiful!
Mixing in all of those things is a wonderful way of being in touch with it all.

Anonymous said...

Very cool and artistic in a way I have never heard of!
Makes my stone all the more precious to me!

DRR said...

I found my summitstone in 2007 atop mt yukness. I can almost feel the things you have mixed in with the paints. They have a rough texture and I can imagine what they are!
This is very creative and cool!

Anonymous said...

Now this is so cool!

Sam said...

When I hold my stone that I found on my descent from mt Temple, I can feel the things you have mixed in. The texture is smooth in some spots and very rough in others, just as the rock would be in the painted mountains.
I want to thank you DSD for your selfless gift and the creative mystery that it is for me.

HJ said...

Never heard of this. Very interesting artistry and cool kind of mystery.

Lissel said...

My Summit Stone is shaped like a mountain and it is a pointed rough rock. It has a really uneven surface and when you run your fingers over it I know I feel things in the paint. This is a spectacular style of art. Really unique. I've read your posts about mixing in elements and they tell me about what is hidden right in the images painted on my stone. What a beautiful mystery this is.
Thank you D,
Lissel