Friday, July 20, 2007

"The Man By The Lake....."




I remember... a few years ago... one of my most profound experiences of being aware of a 'finder' of a Summit Stone & Adventure Muse... This was a moment of 'passing forward' I will be forever grateful for... One of those fleeting opportunities that almost never occur when I see and share in what a 'finder' experiences upon discovering a placed gift...
This happened upon descending from mountain climbing, where the trail out passed very near an alpine lake, embraced by a very rocky shoreline...
I had placed a few painted stones and Muse that day both upon the summit and earlier at the trail head itself... What was most profound though was not the climb itself, a solo endeavor, to a peak visited before for musing and reflection... What provided a lasting memory of that day was what I saw just before reaching the trail head, about an hour before last light...
I saw... just off the trail, a young man, sitting quietly, and reading the Adventure Muse. He was stopped by some large rocks beside the glacier fed lake, and was also holding and turning a Summit Stone over and over in his other hand as if polishing it or making sure it was real...
I passed by... slowly and quietly... just above him along the trail. He had his boots and pack off. There was a breeze gently moving the trees; the water was a bit choppy too... and I am sure he didn't see nor hear me...
Only the side of his face could be seen... Then I was so very touched by what I noticed next...
This young adventurous soul, was not only reading the Muse, but also quietly crying.....
Not wanting to disturb his very private, very special moment, I simply kept moving on down that mountain trail...
I don't know exactly what he was experiencing, but would truly like to believe, the finding of some words, some quotes, within the Muse, and his deep contemplation, may have somehow touched his spirit that day and that maybe the Summit Stone was reminding him of something...
I know it did me...
As I found I too had a few tears welling up in my eyes as I carried quietly on.......
DSD


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My summitstone is on my desk in front of me. It means a great deal to me. I found it on my first long distance hiking trek through yosemite. I cherish the memory of that trip and the time I found your gift.
I hope to do another long trek and in will carry my summitstone with me when I go.

Anonymous said...

What a real experience to be able to see what your efforts did for another person.

Anonymous said...

We read about your anonymous wonderful mission,
on the adventurist.

Anonymous said...

Our whole Ontario Crew returned from kayaking near Killarney to our vehicles where you had put out two of your gifts.
My wife Gail was the most curious and during the sorting and packing she looked at them closely.
She was thrilled and announced excitedly what these were. It seemed she had read about these somewhere.
The kayaking was full of memories.
Thanks for adding a special something to them.
William & Gail Rogers

Anonymous said...

We found our Summit Stone and Adventure Muse by a lake also.
It was on the small rock island at the far end of Chester Lake. There was a small cairn on there and among the rocks of this was this special gift.
We now read your posts here too.
We know what that young man was feeling.
Our thanks DSD.

Jamesmmiraglia@yahoo.com said...

I found the stone at the summit of Garfield Peak at Crater Lake. I work at the lodge there and finally got a chance to climb it. What a great find! I almost turned around before the top, but then thought better of it..."When it seems too hard, ask yourself: Compared to what?". It is a true muse for me, I already can't wait for my next adventure!

Patti-Rocky Mtn Stitcher said...

When I found mine I felt sorry thinking someone lost their small piece of art. It sets on my dresser. I kept searching the internet thinking they would post their loss. I'm so happy now knowing I can enjoy mine without guilt.