Monday, July 30, 2007

"So...How Many Is That......."




Recently... just after summiting a double peak mountain, here near Banff, and after focusing on the basics - safety in position; warm fleece; a bit of food and hydration... a close friend and I were sitting back to back, listening to the wind and some nearby rockfall...
"So... how many is that?", he asked quietly... For a brief moment, I thought he meant how many Summit Stones have I placed as I had just secreted two into the summit cairn there... Then it dawned upon me... he was asking how many mountain summits have been climbed and counted now...
After a moment, I just as quietly replied... "I honestly don't know....."
And then I found myself in the midst of that rush of intense emotion; often with a tear in my eye; that comes upon me as I realise just where I am... yet again... what it takes to get here; and the long journey that has gone on for years now leading to these special moments...
The emotions and tears this time also reflected a growing awareness that I've had these last years that... I am just so grateful to be there... at that wild place... in that moment...
I truly have no idea how many mountain summits I have climbed now... I counted every single one past 100 and continued to record them after 150... Now I tally such adventure summit experiences in a much different way...
It is not in their number that they have meaning anymore... It is simply that they are... an adventure gift to be experienced... a gift of memories created and cherished... a gift of intense moments lived and shared... and an unopened present full of envisioning what other adventures wait patiently out there for us...
After over thirty years of such wandering our wild lands... across lakes, down rivers, among islands, over mountains, through canyons... I feel more of these emotions... that gratitude... and allow it to wash over me and through me so that while I may not 'count' certain things anymore... I will never forget the experiences that created them...
I really don't know either how many Summit Stones I have placed now; but they are out there as a simple reflection of such emotions that we all have... that sense of gratitude... and in the belief of the importance of raising awareness about giving back to these wild places... and the real need to pass forward these opportunities for adventure to the generations that follow us.....
DSD


No comments: