Thursday, November 22, 2007

"A Face In The Stone....."




R & C on my Profile wrote: "On my stone I think we have found something else. It looks where there might be a face in these snowy lines of the mountain. I'm sure of it. Is this supposed to be you DSD?"...
There have been past comments as well about things perceived to be hidden upon or secreted meanings within these painted metaphors of rock... In my study of this 'Naive' art style I recall reading too how the word 'art' itself, as in 'handicraft', also at one time meant 'mystery' in this elemental trade...
'Should I let it be a mystery', I mused again after R & C left their comment...
We marvel often at the remarkable things we find and do out in wild places... We may often ponder their meanings and origins... So yes, their are many faces... and other mysteries represented in these Summit Stones...
When crafting, I often think of 'Grandfather', a Mountain Elder, who wrote: "You will feel me beside you; see my face in the stone; hear me on the wind", as I paint lines over colors over palette and attempt to even get a smile at times within these images...
These faces most often are looking up with wonder upon a shining sun, countless stars, a clear full moon, the fire of sky within alpenglow, or the rainbows that always follow each of us around out in the wild places...
I have enjoyed M. Mardon so much when he too wrote about such hidden images by S. Lyman:
"Yet another burned area presents itself further along the trail with many a scorched tree still standing, very likely to live on through many more thunderstorms. But one dead tree... seems to have stood in the ground through many revolutions of the earth... its bark peeling away exposing its wood to the elements. While the sides of the dead fir are charred, its upper surface is smooth, bleached to a uniform grey, and as inviting to an artist as a chalkboard. He takes a piece of charcoal in hand and sketches a woman's face, not in bold outline but subtly, with shadings and blurred features so that an unsuspecting hiker coming upon it later might wonder if Mother Nature hadn't drawn the image herself"...
Because I believe what surprises us... often also inspires us... we often find our expectations have been exceeded... And this is what wild lands and adventures out in them inherently do for us...
And at those times...
In that moment...
With such a smile...
The 'face in the stone'... Is you 'Finder'.....
DSD











No comments: