Thursday, May 29, 2014

"An Adventurer's Rose..."

The Compass Rose... is often described as an ancient navigational symbol; a figure of direction; and a mandala for Adventurers...
It can be seen in so many forms, like on my Outward Bound pins which I am gazing upon at this moment... Countless references can be found in readings and stories that reflect on the historical values of its use; and in the meanings and analogies for compasses...
The Compass Roses' age old perspectives re-minds me to see adventure experiences through 'long term eyes'... Even as I have posted just before on the significance of experiencing our wild land activities in the moment...
There are powerful metaphors and depth of meaning in well applying concepts of navigation and direction within our outdoor lives, and not just in the most practical sense of finding our way...
This image of a Rose within the Compass holds mystery too in allowing us to set an unknown but intentional course over lands and waters previously only dreamed about...
We have owned many compasses over the years, and still have them all...
I enjoy discovering the Rose as the key placed upon antique maps, which displays the skill of the artist, and have often been put there for luck, especially when the world was uncharted as it is now...
I've often painted elements of the Compass Rose on these small Summit Stones under mountains and oceans, to capture a sense of their essence... If only a hidden one...
Some of the very first Summit Stones were only the painted face of a Compass. Now many have North, South, East, and West woven into the lines of paint on mountains...
I remember... Finding a Compass Rose carved into a large piece of driftwood just off Quadra Island...
I recall... a passage from a book in my youth, whose Author wrote...
"Under the rock was the rose of a compass that was not supposed to be there, carved as clearly into the stone as if etched that very day. If done by the hand of a mason or the elements I could not tell".
I love the sense of mystery that accompanies the Compass Rose...
I believe that while Maps carry promises... Compasses show us one way to fulfill these... DSD
 

No comments: