Sunday, November 27, 2011

"A Mountain No One Wanted To Climb..."



Of course it had been climbed, but it has for decades now, been a mountain none seemed to want to climb again... A lonely place, it seems up there, not a coveted nor cherished route, with chancy rock and iffy terrain, not really inviting at all. It is away from all the other high points around there, those objectives most people seek out as being of more significance. This mountain is not near any easy access; actually is a struggle to even get to see. Maybe it is a shy mountain, if you will, and has not been that engaging of us because it simply likes its' own solitude. I understand that... Many of us, peoples, wild ones, and wild places, need our quieter times, our distance from all the usual stimulation's and distractions. That doesn't at all mean this mountain has no secrets though... There are a number of routes to make one's way up there, certain twists and turns that need creative climbing, with vistas you would never guess are present. Yet they are there... The rock only seems questionable, until you move past those first bits, then it is as strong and sure as any I have been upon. But it does require that extra effort. The summit itself is truly unique, like few I have shared the winds with. It has a natural shelter up there, where the rock turns in upon itself, but still allows the sun its presence too. A warm, calm, and very secure high point it is, unusual to find in such places. This elusive mountain and I are close friends now, and a part of me is glad few journey there. As I made my way back yesterday, I began thinking of our next visit, and a smile slowly grew upon my face, looking forward to that time I will spend with my old friend..... DSD

Thank you Dear Friends, for your images of your own elusive high places...

No comments: